Monday, October 8

Well hello luscious quilt!

I did it! I finished!
Yesterday I finished sewing on the binding to my first quilt, threw it in the washer, and today have my very first 100% complete quilt!
I cannot express how proud of myself I am :)

hello luscious zig zag quilt front

So, from the beginning. I loved the Hello Luscious line (Moda, Basic Grey) since I first saw it, but had no idea what to do with it. I didn't know how to make a quilt. I googled "Hello Luscious quilt" and one of the first results was "Mommy by day, crafter by night" blog. Apparently, she had a Zig Zag quilt-a-long in July.
Plus, she had sewn an amazing zig-zag quilt from the Hello Luscious line. (Gorgeous)
I'm usually not late, but decided to join in anyways.

hello luscious zig zag quilt folded

The whole tutorial she gave was so helpful, even if she used layer cakes, and I only used a charm pack.
You can find all the steps here.

hello luscious zig zag quilt folded

 I bought some acrylic filling and plain white backing. Since it was my first, I didn't want to try anything fancy. This time.
I really wish I could have found the exact same color for the back, but I guess it's OK, and after all, the beauty in homemade quilts. (The white I used was Bella Solid white)
Quilting was, well... tricky. I had to move my machine over to our kitchen table so I could have more room. The twisting and turning each corner was a bit scary, because I had rolled up each side, and with each turn the rest of the quilt loosened up a bit, and pins started to fall out. Now I know why safety pins are recommended. Towards the end I got the hang of it, but I think it will be a while until I make a bigger quilt.

hello luscious zig zag quilt back

Binding, the part I was most afraid of, was actually the easiest. I cut out 3" strips, and used Heather Baileys tutorial on binding.
I bought some extra fabric from the Hello Luscious line for the binding. That was hard choosing!
Connecting the ends was a bit tricky, but I got it right. Almost. I was a tad off and had a bit of extra fabric. No problem though, it was easily fixable and unnoticeable.
Sewing on the other side of the binding by hand was far less scary as I thought it would be.
We watched a movie and I finished it up during that time.

hello luscious zig zag quilt folded

I always thought I'd like the free-motion stitches, but maybe because I just couldn't get it, I really do think I like the simple stitches, straight lined.
I like looking at the more complicated, hexagon, star, pinwheel etc. quilts, but I think I'd enjoy making the simpler ones. (You can follow my quilt love on pinterest!) Zig-Zag, triangles, flying geese, those are on my very soon to-do list. I already have more fabric coming my way and cannot wait to start sewing a quilt again!

hello luscious zig zag quilt corner





2 comments:

  1. I love this and would never have guessed it was your very first quilt. There's nothing wrong with simple quilts! I love this fabric line too - I have about 6 charm packs and some yardage and eeek, now a Fat Quarter Bundle!! :0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I haven't gotten to fat quarters yet, but I know the day is getting closer! I LOVE this line, so sweet without over-doing it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...